Embryo Transfer Instructions
EMBRYO TRANSFER INSTRUCTIONS (read this once you have been scheduled for embryo transfer)
WHAT YOU WILL NEED IN THE 2-5 DAYS PRIOR TO, AND ON THE DAY OF EMBRYO TRANSFER:
- Antibiotic (Doxycycline 100 mg tablets x 7, or Azithromycin 250 mg tablets x 4) oral tablets
- Administration begins the day prior to egg retrieval and continues for 3 days
- Take this medication regardless of whether an embryo transfer is planned or not
- Administration begins on the day of egg retrieval and continues for 4 consecutive days; in some cases, you will be required to continue 1 tablet of Medrol daily through the 6th week of gestation
- Administration begins on the day/night of egg retrieval and typically continues through the 9th week of gestation
- It is not to be discontinued until otherwise specified
- You will not need to take progesterone if no embryo transfer is planned (i.e. embryos/eggs are to be frozen)
- This is a plant-derived natural estrogen given to support embryo implantation and the resulting pregnancy
- It is safe to use after embryo transfer and in pregnancy
- Administration begins on the night of embryo transfer and typically continues through the 9th week of gestation
- This is a low-dose Aspirin tablet which is used to improve blood flow to the uterus and may help with embryo implantation
- If you have an Aspirin allergy you do not need to take this
- Administration begins on the day of embryo transfer and continues through the 2nd trimester of pregnancy, unless otherwise specified
- This is given to help relax the muscles of the uterus and to prevent cramping of the uterus during and after the embryo transfer; it also helps patients relax during the embryo transfer procedure
- Valium is administered once just prior to the embryo transfer procedure
- This medication a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent, which can reduce uterine contractions during embryo transfer
- Using this medication has been shown to improve embryo implantation and pregnancy rates
- Ibuprofen is administered once just prior to the embryo transfer procedure
SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS PRIOR TO AND ON THE DAY OF EMBRYO TRANSFER
- Doxycycline (antibiotic) 100 mg (every 12 hours), or Azithromycin 250 mg daily for a total of 4 days, as you have been doing (unless you have a day 5 or 6 embryo transfer, in which case antibiotic administration will finish prior to embryo transfer).
- Medrol (corticosteroid) 4 mg x 4 pills (together) daily x 4 days, as you have been doing (unless you have a day 5 or day 6 embryo transfer, in which case Medrol administration will finish prior to embryo transfer).
- Progesterone in oil 1 cc (50 mg) single injection nightly, or progesterone 200 mg vaginal capsules 3x daily, or Endometrin vaginal capsules 100 mg 3x daily (morning, afternoon, and night), as you have been doing.
- Valium 5 mg pill – take one pill approximately 45 minutes prior to your scheduled embryo transfer time.
- Ibuprofen 600 mg pill – take one pill approximately 45 minutes prior to your scheduled embryo transfer time.
- Your embryo transfer procedure is scheduled for _________________________ am/pm. Please report to In Vitrotech Labs, Inc. (9201 W. Sunset Blvd, Suite 202, West Hollywood, CA 90069, tel 310-550-1951) with your partner or an accompanying adult no later than 45 minutes prior to your scheduled procedure. Please make sure you arrive with your bladder full (make sure you drink enough water to fill your bladder moderately; do not empty your bladder prior to the embryo transfer procedure unless otherwise specified). You and your partner should avoid wearing any scented lotions, perfumes, colognes... as these may affect eggs, sperm and embryos in the IVF laboratory. Your partner or an accompanying adult must drive you home after the procedure as you will not be able to drive yourself.
- Baby Aspirin 81 mg tablets – resume 1 baby Aspirin per day on the day or evening of embryo transfer, and continue daily until otherwise specified.
- Estrace 2 mg oral tablets – take 1 tablet the evening of embryo transfer, then 1 tablet twice daily (approximately 12 hours apart) starting the day after your embryo transfer, to continue until otherwise specified.